Saturday 19 October 2013

The Casualties Are Mounting: Zomtober Week 3



Hello again chaps!  Another, slightly early Zomtober submission from me.  Maybe a little heavy on the old gore effects this time?  Still, it will all balance out when they are mixed in with their fellows.  Left to Right, we have two Rebel Minis zombies, and a Khurasan zombie.

The leftmost zombie has obviously seen better days, with very little flesh left on him, either he is in an advanced state of decomposition, or he met with a rather grisly end at the hands (mouths?) of a big group of zombies.  I've painted him up as an ice-cream vendor (bet he regrets his invitation to "stop me and buy one" now!).

In the middle is what can only be a zombie erm... Lady of easy virtue.  She seems to have been badly mauled in places, with her left arm completely stripped of flesh, her innards falling out of her abdomen, and some big chunks taken out of her right leg and foot.  I'm not so keen on the fact that she is posed in a way that suggests she is still plying her trade, though.  I'd have thought that the process of zombification would have left her as just another shambler.  I can always classify her as a smart zombie, with residual memories of her old life, I guess.

Finally, a generic chap, who I may well identify as a rage zombie.  He certainly has that look about him.  Looks like his lips were chewed off.  Blech!  I can understand why he would be a bit miffed.

Just realised from looking at the pictures that I have forgotten to put the last layer of drybrushing on the brown part of the bases.  Bah.  I'll have to put that right after publishing this post.

Before I go, thought I'd share my latest shinies with you:


It's a pair of drop pods from the Mcfarlane Halo Micro-Ops range.  Got them in a pack from one of our local discount stores, B&M for £2.99 (the blister also included three ODST troops, but I haven't pictured them).  Both pods can be opened or closed according to preference, which is nice.

I snipped the drag chute off one of the pods, as it made it look a bit naff.  The pack only includes one separate rubble base (as one pod is meant to be in mid-drop), which is a shame, but I can probably make a second rubble base with modelling clay and talus so that I can depict them both as landed.  Although the ODST troops that came with them are about 22mm tall, these should make great objectives/terrain/aerial deployment markers for 15mm sci-fi games.

Anyway, enough of my off-topic rambling.  I'm off to try and get week 4's entries painted up early, so that Zomtober won't clash with my impending Open University assignment deadline.

See you next week!

Jon

8 comments:

  1. Great looking zeds, to much gore? No perfect amount! The pods look great. Been debating whether to get some of the halo micro ops stuff for my 15mm sci fi stuff not found any for the right price yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. True, Simon. Some zombies will be more gory than others, won't they? I just had a hiccup as they have a bit more blood on than the other zombies I've painted so far. But yeah, they'll be fine.

    Definitely worth getting some of the Micro Ops stuff. Got my eye on the Warthog/Mongoose pack next. But yes, price is an issue. I thought I'd see if I could pick up another pack of drop pods on Ebay, but they were on offer for between £7 and £15 for the same pack I picked up for £2.99! Needless to say, I'll just stick with the two I have for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skin colours that you are using, wonderfully rotten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I got the idea from a clip in CSI (Vegas), where someone explained that corpses get discolouration/bruising when they are left lying in one position for a while, as the blood pools. From there, I decided that my zombies would be a purple/grey colour. It will help with identifying them vs survivors on the tabletop, too.

      Delete
  4. I love the zombies! Well done on those mate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely grim. I particularly like the zombie on the right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a beauty, isn't he? I think the missing lips/chin flesh make him look particularly fierce. Ideal as a rager.

      Just need to find a way to identify my rage zombies. Maybe with a piece of street litter, or a different coloured base rim?

      Delete